Monday, April 9, 2012

What's A Guy To Do?

I was happily researching my latest book when it caused a funny thing to happen in the Redwood household. I'm watching TV when my husband sits down and asks, "Honey, is there something we need to discuss?"

"Like what?"

"I found something on your computer."
Okay, let me say if my husband ever turns up suspiciously dead, all eyes will be on me. Not because I would ever desire to harm my husband but I am a nurse, have access to drugs, and let's say my Internet research as a writer can be dicey. Best way to poison someone. A medical blog devoted to helping writers maim their characters.

I'm sure it would make for a very interesting police interview.

But I digress.

"What did you find?"

"The pregnancy conception calendar?"

"Oh that... it's just research honey. Don't worry."

That got me thinking. Some may not know these tools exist. In my case, I was determining a married couples timeline but I had to back date the events a couple of years. How could I determine when my main character had conceived in 2010? That's when I found this nifty little tool that caused my dear husband some needless anxiety.

http://www.baby2see.com/conception_calculator.html#ConceptionCalculator

And he is always the one who says not to worry. Guess that only counts if it's not another child on the way!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Jordyn, this had me HOWLING! I never thought of what the police would think if a loved one turned up dead and they confiscated your hard drive. LOL!! What a HOOT, Girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,

      If I am ever in a police interview-- I'm calling on you as a character reference.

      Delete
  2. I often worry what non-writers would think if they saw the search terms I used to do research for my fiction or for my blog. Glad to see I am not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, btw-- I love your blog and you have a wicked sense of humor! Keep up the great blogging.

      Delete
  3. Ladies,

    Thanks so much for your comments. Not only am I glad you liked the piece but are still finding my blog after all the crazy internet stuff I've been through over the last couple of days.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always worry about what people will think if someone looked at my internet searches. Causes me to do less research, which is bad. After reading your blog I think I'll chuck the worry beast out the window. Thanks.

    Oh, btw, what medical blog do you follow that helps writers maim their characters? Sounds like a good resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia!

      You actaully found said blog. This is what I blog about so subscribe/follow if you can.

      I help authors write with medical accuracy. I take author questions, dispell medical myths, and my favorite is helping authors through those medical issues. You can search for my "author beware" series-- these are pretty fun posts that talk about those issues.

      If you have a medicl question related to a work of fiction-- you can send it to me at jredwood1@gmail.com.

      Happy writing!

      Delete
    2. Awesome. Consider your blog followed. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete