Sunday, March 1, 2015

Living on the Edge

Hello Redwood's Fans!

You may have been wondering just what has happened to me since I haven't done these preview posts for a few weeks. Well, it's been a little bit of a roller coaster ride lately. There has only been one member of our family that hasn't been to the UC/ER in the last three weeks.

That is no joke.

I came down with a horrible case of bronchitis. Dang that flu shot for not working so great this year! My youngest broke her arm. My husband was in the ER for a heart arrhythmia. 

I know, fun times. I can see the jealousy on your faces.

It's also respiratory season which means everyone who works in pediatrics is getting their rear-ends kicked at work every shift with increased patient loads of sicker kids. Let me just say my US magazine reading has sharply declined.   

None of us can predict with these life events will happen. It reminds me a little bit of white water rafting. What?-- you say. She has certainly lost her mind.

White water rafting is fun but a little anxiety producing. You fear getting tossed into the water. There are all these dire warning about what to do when that happens.

1. Don't put your feet down hence they get trapped and you drown.
2. Don't loose your paddle because we don't want to have to find a new one.
3. Swim to the side because we might not be able to get you.

Why would anyone try this sport? One, the scenery is awesome. Two, it's a God made roller coaster. It's fun getting splashed with water-- most of the time. Not so fun, getting hailed on but I digress.

In the back of your mind while you're having all this fun is the thought you might get tossed out and what will you do if that happens. It's a little slice of living on the edge. 

I've been tossed out into white water several times. You know what-- you cannot anticipate it. One minute you're in the boat. The next, you're wet and cold and wondering what the heck just happened. 

Isn't this so much like death in our lives? We really do not know when that moment will be. Are you prepared? Can you ever be prepared?

Thoughts?

This week's posts will be spent answering an author's questions about medical treatment of patients who have been in a motor vehicle accident. 

Another one of those unexpected things.

Have a great week of unexpectedness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment